Wednesday, March 5, 2014

OLD PAIR OF BLUE JEANS


Like an old pair of blue jeans washed
Until the denim dye fades to a pale, blue mist
And the cloth takes on the character of another skin,
Thin and unraveling at the knees,
Molded and worn out remnants of cotton twill
Cling to my bare legs and silently languish. 

And the slow disintegration of the woven threads
Begins my descent out of a pale light;
My headlong sprint into the heaviest fog,
Too dense to see my footsteps fall,
With jeans torn, thorns cut through to the thighs,
Blood droplets seed the earth and deep mist spreads
Through the tall grass and thickets as
Tree trunks fuse with the thick, blue-grey haze
And tree tops become obscure.

Breathless at the end of my run, the old jeans are vague now
And disappear among the vapors.


© cmheuer, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment