Thursday, May 11, 2017

TRAVELOGUE

At the end of the projector’s cone of light
Wraparound panoramas and scenic drives
Whirr or click in a darkened room
Transfixing and beguiling minds with
Places our feet have touched.

We were hunter-gatherers before farmers;
Our cavernous minds followed the trails,
Gathered images and footsteps,
Placed them in our cerebral vaults,
As if they were root cellars for storing
Enough seeds, nuts, fruits, and berries,  
To generate sleep and spry animation.

Night and day revolving in
Unquestioned, perpetual motion,
Fed by endless streams of old and new
Savannahs, seashores, and mountains.

Zeal is what I remember.  Frenzied preparation.
Last minute effervescence. 
Brisk steps to secure provisions.
Unbearable anticipation of
New lands at first sight hold my breath.

Until I look farther still into
Where my feet cannot touch.
Until I see on big, wide screens
Cassini photographs of Saturn,
Curiosity’s Dunes at Ogunquit Beach, and
Juno’s Jupiter Flybys:  places that
stun my eyes and beckon my feet.


©cmheuer, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment