Thursday, September 29, 2016

ACORNS


Buckets of acorns sit at the base of old giant oaks,
Annual collections quantifiably rich and deep,
I dip into them with my hands,
Let the green droplets and their brown caps
Sift through my fingers like gold coins,
Dump them into pig feeders and
Watch the rooting snouts feast on bitter seeds
While I stand outside of the fence,
Where walnuts and hickory nuts scatter at my feet,
Fewer in number, cloaked in tough skins and thick shells,
I break them with a hammer to dig out their meat
To feed myself.
Squirrels hoard what they can carry.

Bound to seasonal tides, we share ritual meals,
Leave behind enough to reseed and grow,
Wait out the lean months,
Then gather together for another harvest moon
Beneath the oak, walnut, and hickory trees. 


© cmheuer, September, 2016  

No comments:

Post a Comment